Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth but let’s face it planning your trip can be overwhelming at times! There is so much to do and so little time. Wether you are planning your trip yourself or have enlisted the free help of a trusted Disney Travel Agent, you need know a thing or two about how Disney’s FastPass+ system works. Let’s talk!
What is a fastPass?
Fast Passes are sort of like a Ride Reservation. You get to pick 3 Fast Passes per day in advance. Not every ride has the option for a Fast Pass but I have created a list of which rides have Fast Passes available. Once you use all 3 of your Fast Passes, you can then choose a single FP again and again throughout the rest of your day. This is when your My Disney Experience App comes in really handy! Each Park does FastPasses a little differently, Magic Kingdom puts all of their rides under a single list that you can pick from, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot use a tier system that allows you to pick only 1 ride out of one section and then the rest from another section. This is why it’s important to have a strategy when you get ready to select your FastPasses.
How do I get FastPasses?
The best thing about FastPasses is they are included with your ticket. You get 3 FastPasses per ticket. If you have a child under three they will not need a ticket or FastPasses. If you are staying in a Disney Resort your tickets will be linked to your My Disney Experience. If you are not staying on property you will need to link each of your tickets to your My Disney Experience to reserve your FastPasses.
When do I book FastPasses?
If you are staying in a Walt Disney World Resort you are allowed to choose your FastPasses 60 days out. This is definitely a great benefit to staying on Disney Property. If you are not staying at a Disney Resort you will not be able to book your Fast Passes until 30 days before your trip. This significantly decreases your chances of getting FastPasses to the biggest rides, like Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog Dash. I do have some tricks to tell you about that can hopefully help if you miss out on a FastPass to your favorite ride!
how to book FastPasses?
1. Log in to My Disney Experience. You can create a log in either on Disney World.com or the My Disney Experience App that you can download on your mobile device.
2. Determine the exact date that you need to log in to select your FastPasses. Here is a handy dandy date calculator that will help you figure that out. To get the hardest to get FP you will need to be ready to select your FP at 7am EST either 30 or 60 days from your date of arrival.
3. Create a strategy for which FP you want to select for each park. Even if you are Park Hopping you will only be able to select FP for one park at a time. So figure out which park you are going to first and select your 3 then plan on selecting others 1 at a time in the next park, this is when your Disney App will come in very handy!
4. Use the chart above to decide which rides you will select under each tier.
5. **Secret Tip** Select your hardest to get FP on the days farther into your trip. When your start day becomes available you will be able to select the FP for your entire stay. That means that if you check in on Monday you will have access to select FP on Friday. The people arriving on Friday will not yet have access to select on that day so there will be more available on that day. So best practice is to select FP for those days first!!!
6. Your FP window will be for an hour at a time. You cannot select time that overlap each other. So say you want to select a FP for Splash Mountain at 5:40pm, you will have the window between 5:40-6:40 pm to use it. You will not be able to book overlapping time frames.
7. It’s important to remember which way you plan to walk through the park and plan your FastPasses accordingly. Its a terrible waste of time to run from one side of the park to the other to catch your next FastPass,
8. Your FP will be linked to your Magic Band. When you walk up to the ride you will choose the FastPass line and bump your Magic Band on the Mickey Icon and it will turn Green.
9. Check your My Disney Experience app throughout the day, people are constantly changing their selections and you might get lucky enough to find one you were wanting!
I hope these Fast Pass Tips help you plan your trip with ease! Let me know if you have any other tips that I should add to the list!!